Accurate and real-time weather prediction can save lives. The Google C2 instances, powered by Intel Xeon Processors, provide us the exceptional speed and scalability we need to provide our clients detailed and accurate micro-forecasts. Migrating our innovative solution to the cloud is a massive undertaking. Without the excellent support levels Intel and Google provide us, we’d be using outdated solutions.Dan Slagen, Chief Marketing Officer, ClimaCell
We wouldn't be able to handle the amount of data we're managing daily without Google and Intel. We've already seen file compression rates improve by 38 percent and image extractions speed up by 24 percent. The combination of the Intel Xeon Scalable processors and preemptible VMs has lowered our costs from $10,000 to $2,700 per petabyte analyzed in Google Cloud.Tim Kelton, co-founder and Cloud Architect, Descartes Labs
Intel-powered instance offerings
Customers can easily build upon Intel-powered Google Cloud instances enabling your data-driven platforms to store more, process faster, and migrate quicker—with a flexible, high-performance set of instances that work with your workloads and your budget, not against it.
|Instance Type||N1 General Purpose||N2 General Purpose||C2 Compute Optimized||M1-UltraMem Memory Optimized||M2-UltraMem Memory Optimized||M2-MegaMem Memory Optimized||Google Cloud VMware Engine|
|Target Workload||Mainstream||Mainstream||Apps Needing Single Threaded Frequency (i.e. HPC,EDA, Gaming)||High Memory Database (i.e. SAP HANA)||High Memory Database (i.e. SAP HANA)||High Memory Database (i.e. SAP HANA)||VMware Workloads|
|CPU||Various Intel Xeon, including Xeon Scalable||2nd Gen Intel Xeon Scalable||2nd Gen Intel Xeon Scalable||Intel Xeon E7v4||2nd Gen Intel Xeon Scalable||Intel Xeon Scalable||2nd Gen Intel Xeon Scalable|
|vCPUs||Up to 96||Up to 80||Up to 60||40 / 80 / 160||208 / 416||96||72|
|Memory||Up to 624GB||Up to 624GB||Up to 240GB||1TB / 2TB / 4TB||6TB / 12TB||1.4TB||768GB|
|All-Core Turbo Boost speed||2.7 GHz (Xeon Scalable)||3.4 GHz||3.8 GHz (Sustained)||2.6 GHz||3.4 GHz||2.7 GHz||3.9 GHz|
|Baseline Cloud speed||2.0 GHz (Xeon Scalable)||2.8 GHz||3.1 GHz||2.2 GHz||2.5 GHz||2.0 GHz||2.6 GHz|
|Intel AVX-512 (2x floating pt)||Xeon Scalable (using MinCPU platform)||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Intel Deep Learning Boost||No||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||No||Yes|
|Available in GCP Regions||24||13||12||17||5||10||2|
Technology resources and documentation
Footnotes for performance claims
- “The new Compute-Optimized VMs offer a greater than 40% performance improvement compared to current GCP VMs.” Bart Sano, VP of Platforms, Google Cloud. Learn more here.
- From Google Cloud’s CPU platforms page: Learn more here. C2 instance all-core turbo CPU frequency is 3.8 GHz, with the lowest first generation N1 machine type base frequency being 2.0 GHz. Note, all-core turbo not available for first generation N1 instances. Improvement from 2.0GHz to 3.8GHz = 90%.
- “The new general-purpose machine types (N2) offer greater than 20% price-performance improvement...compared with first generation N1 machines.” Hanan Yousef, Product Manager of Compute Engine, Google Cloud. Learn more here.
- “The new general-purpose machine types (N2) offer greater than 20% price-performance improvement for many workloads and support up to 25% more memory per vCPU compared with first generation N1 machines.” Hanan Yousef, Product Manager, Compute Engine. Learn more here.
- “With double the FLOPS per clock cycle compared to previous-generation Intel® Advanced Vector Extensions 2 (Intel® AVX2), Intel® AVX-512, [built into 2nd Gen Intel Xeon Scalable Processors] boosts performance and throughput for the most demanding computational tasks in applications, such as modeling and simulation, data analytics and machine learning, data compression, visualization, and digital content creation.” Learn more here.
- “Preemptible VMs are up to 80% cheaper than regular instances.” Google Cloud Blog, Preemptible Virtual Machines. Learn more here.