This page describes the upgrade path from Cloud Datastore to Cloud Firestore.
Cloud Firestore can operate in Datastore mode, making it backwards- compatible with Cloud Datastore. By creating a Cloud Firestore database in Datastore mode, you can access Cloud Firestore's improved storage layer while keeping Cloud Datastore system behavior. Cloud Firestore in Datastore mode removes the following Cloud Datastore limitations:
- Queries are no longer eventually consistent; instead, they are all strongly consistent.
- Transactions are no longer limited to 25 entity groups.
- Writes to an entity group are no longer limited to 1 per second.
For more about Datastore mode, see Cloud Firestore in Datastore mode.
At a future date, GCP will gradually upgrade existing Cloud Datastore databases to Cloud Firestore in Datastore mode.
Automatic upgrade to Cloud Firestore in Datastore mode
When the automatic upgrade process begins, GCP will begin contacting owners of existing Cloud Datastore databases to schedule an automatic upgrade to Cloud Firestore in Datastore mode.
If you manage an application that uses Cloud Datastore, you will not need to update your application code. We will notify you about the schedule of your application's upgrade to Datastore Mode. The upgrade will not require downtime.
For additional questions about the automatic upgrade process, contact one of our support channels.
Upgrade an empty Cloud Datastore instance
If you have an empty Cloud Datastore database and you never executed a write to the database, you can upgrade to Cloud Firestore in Datastore mode or Native mode:
If you do not receive this option, then your database instance will be automatically upgraded at a future date. If you upgrade from Cloud Datastore to Cloud Firestore in Datastore mode or from Datastore mode to Native mode, you cannot undo the operation.
Testing an existing application
For an existing app that uses Cloud Datastore, you can test app behavior with Cloud Firestore in Datastore mode by doing the following:
- Create a new project. In this project, create a Cloud Firestore in Datastore mode database.
- Using the managed export service, export some of your application's data to Cloud Storage.
- Using the managed import service, import your application's data to your new project.
- Copy app logic you want to test to the new project or simulate app behaviour against the new project.