Welcome to Google App Engine! Creating an App Engine application is easy, and only takes a few minutes. And it's free to start: upload your app and share it with users right away, at no charge and with no commitment required.
Google App Engine applications can be written in the Java, Python, Go or PHP programming languages. This tutorial covers Java. If you would prefer to use Python, Go or PHP to build your applications, see the Python, Go or PHP guides.
What you'll learn
In this tutorial, you will learn how to do the following:
- Use Apache Maven to create an App Engine project with the required layout and files.
- Write servlet code and JSP templates that respond to user requests.
- Integrate the app with Google Accounts for user authentication.
- Save data to Google Cloud Datastore.
- Build and test your app in the local development server.
- Deploy the app to Google App Engine.
By the end of the tutorial, you will have implemented a working application, a simple guestbook that lets users post messages to a public message board.
Get started developing Google App Engine Java applications by completing a few short setup tasks.